The Greatest Gift You Can Give Someone Is Your Time
For these residents, the most important thing you can do is to give them your undivided attention as frequently as possible. Let them know that they are loved and valued that they have not been forgotten. If you don’t have the time, find a volunteer to help you.
Here are some one-on-one activities and ideas you can use to make the most of the time you have with them. Adjust them to suit your residents.
Engaging Hospital Activities For Adults
CaringBridge Staff | 11.12.21
If you or a loved one are staying in a hospital for an extended period of time, you might be looking for new ways to keep busy and avoid cabin fever.
We asked our community to share some fun activities theyve used to pass the time in the hospital. Check out their advice:
Things For Children To Do In Hospital
- Hand held video games, Walkman, discman or ipods are great time passers, bring one from home or have your parents buy you a new one
- Play our fun and easy online yahtzee game with instructions and no download needed – loads of fun for all the family.
- Depending on the child’s age, coloring books and a box of crayons will keep children amused for awhile.
- For older children that have a laptop, or can borrow one, there is lots to do including playing pc computer games and writing a diary or stories.
- Play our Bubble Shooter game that is free to play, includes hints and tips to get high bubble shooter scores.
- Bring some books to read by your favorite author, or magazines devoted to topics and hobbies you enjoy
- Puzzle books like word find games and suduko will keep your mind occupied.
- Bring a board game or two. Playing board games like checkers, backgammon, or even chess and monopoly, will help pass the time for 2 or more hospital patients.
You May Like: Family Things To Do In Cleveland Ohio
Living Well From The Bed The Couch Or The Recliner
Posted June 28, 2011
In 2001, little did I know that my bedroom would soon become my home. On some days, I’m able to go out or visit with people in the front of the house. But, due to illness, most of my day is spent on the bed.
I had a difficult time adjusting to my world becoming smaller and smaller, but I’ve slowly made peace with this new life, so much so that I think the healthy could benefit from this quieter lifestyle. Here’s a list of things you can do from the bed, although the list applies equally to life from the couch or the recliner.
1. Read or listen to audiobooks. Beds and books are perfect companions, whether the book is paper, electronic, or audio. I loved to read in bed before I got sick it’s so intimate and comforting. I find it hard to read now, so I curl up and listen to audiobooks. I’ve come to treat audiobooks the way I do a favorite piece of music: If I like a book, I listen to it over and over. Alexander McCall Smith’s series, TheNo. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, is an example. I love the books and I love the reader , so I’ve listened multiple times to each book in the series.
2. Write. Mark Twain wrote from the bed. So did Marcel Proust and Winston Churchill. I love how writing can take so many forms: poetry, a personal diary, a letter , a blog, a Facebook post, a book. I wrote all three of my books from the bedlaptop on my stomach, notes strewn about on the blanket, printer within arm’s reach.
How Do I Help A Person Who Can Raise His Buttocks To Use A Bedpan
- Put on disposable gloves.
- Place a waterproof pad under the person’s buttocks to protect the bed from spills.
- Raise the head of the bed a little if it is allowed by the healthcare provider.
- Support the lower back of the person with one hand. With your other hand, place the curved edge of the bedpan under the buttocks of the person.
- Raise the head of the bed until the person is in a sitting position. Sitting upright makes having a bowel movement or urinating easier.
- Give the person privacy if possible. If the person is weak, do not leave him alone.
- When the person is done, lower the head of the bed. Ask the person to raise his buttocks. Support the lower back of the person with one hand. Carefully remove the bedpan with your other hand. Cover the bedpan with a towel and put it on a chair.
Read Also: What To Do In Ashland Va
Pyjamas And Other Clothing
You’re going to want to be comfortable while in hospital so it’s a good idea to take a set of pyjamas that are easy to get on and off, Dr Lee says. A second spare pair is also a good idea, plus slippers or socks so your feet don’t get cold.
Hospitals are often bright and noisy places, so you may want to pack a sleep mask and earplugs so you can get a good night’s rest.
And don’t forget to pack several changes of underwear and a plastic bag to put your dirty ones in.
Do remember that hospitals are keen to get people out of bed and sitting up and dressed as soon as possible. This has been driven by the hugely successful ‘End PJ Paralysis‘ campaign, which highlighted how quickly older people in particular could lose muscle strength and mass when confined to bed. So if you’re going to be in hospital for more than a couple of days, you’ll need more than one set of daytime clothes.
Upgrade Your Hospital Room With Overbed Tables
Overbed trays or hospital bed tables, as theyre often called, are a convenient way to get some work done from the comfort of your bed.
The height of the tabletop can also be adjusted to provide space for reading, computer work, and dining.
Hospitals, rehabilitation centers, home and long term facilities with the regular, hospital, and low beds use overbed tables or trays.
If there is none available at your local facility, then you can easily get one from Amazon.
You can get similar to one pictured above or one with wheels on the floor that is even more comfortable as its much easier to move around.
Recommended Reading: Things To Do Near Mystic
The Dangers Of Sedentary Behaviour In Hospital
Lying or sitting too much while in hospital can lead to deconditioning , pressure injuries, blood clots, infections, prolonged hospital stays and unplanned hospital re-admissions.
In rehabilitation settings, where a person is recovering from conditions such as stroke, amputation or arthritis, older adults spend as little as 5% of the dayupright.
In acute settings where a patient in hospital may require surgery or treatments to repair a fracture, remove a tumour or relieve nerve pain it can be much worse. Older adults spend a median of just 3% of their day standing or walking.
These are staggering figures but the good news is even small increases in activity and movement can help prevent the rapid loss of muscle mass and strength that comes from lying down or sitting too long in hospital.
Our study found nurses have a key role in supporting patients mobility and in reducing their sedentary behaviour.
How To Have Fun In Bed
If you are looking for juicy tips on how to improve your performance in bed or have more fun during your sexual encounters… then, you are on the wrong page. You will not learn anything new here to impress your other half. Sorry!
This article is about how to avoid boredom when you are obliged to be in bed because you are ill.
Read Also: Things To Do Healdsburg
Spend Time With Your Family/friends
Talk and play with your friends and relatives. Take advantage of all the time on your hands and get up to date with the latest news from friends and families. Some telephone companies offer free local calls, so why not take advantage? You can also use Facebook, Yahoo, or Skype to talk to friends outside the country for next to nothing.
You won’t be too active, but you can still watch films, read stories, and do puzzles with them while you are in bed. Your children will enjoy reading you a bedtime story, and you will be helping their reading skills. You can also play society games with them. I really encouraged my daughter to spend more time with me when I was recovering in bed, and as a result, our relationship improved a lot.
Connect With Your Loved Ones:
Chances are that you havent seen people that you love as much or as frequently as you would like to and you miss them schedule online video chats with your friends and family, this will cheer you up and keep your spirits high as you recover. Your loved ones will also be happy to hear about your progress in the hospital.
Read Also: Mystic Ct Things To Do
Patient Requirements Are Paramount
No two people are the same. There are a lot of personal considerations to think about to ensure you choose right bed with the right set of features. Most beds have a standard set of features, but there are also countless additional customizable options you can add based on the persons care needs. Think about:
- Why is the bed needed?
- What type of ailment does the person have?
- How long will the person use the bed daily?
- What is the persons mobility level?
- Can they get out of bed themselves or do they need assistance?
- Are there specific features the person needs?
Knit Sew Or Do Other Crafts
Whatever craft takes your fancy, you now have the time to do it. No more excuses for not finishing that scarf for your grandmother or that cardigan for your husband. If you are not very creative, you can try mending your clothes. How long have you been walking around with only one button on your cardigan or with your trousers far too long? There are no more excuses now!
Recommended Reading: Kid Fun Cleveland Ohio
Ten Ways To Help A Friend On Hospital Bed Rest Or In The Nicu
Through our outreach at High Risk Hope®, I interact daily with families in a fight for their babys survival, whether on hospital bed rest or in the neonatal intensive care unit. Our HRH families have become extended members of my family, but I never expected to have an experience hit so close to home. This past month I found myself in unchartered territory when my college roommate and close friend was admitted to the hospital when her water broke months before her due date. When I received an early morning text from Jill that she was in labor and delivery at my hospital, I felt sick to my stomach. I knew what she was facing and how she was feeling because I had been through that exact moment five years ago when my water broke at 24 weeks. I grabbed my keys and headed for the hospital and my role shifted immediately from former hospital bed rest/NICU mom an HRH founder to someone who needed to support and encourage a good friend fighting for the life of her baby.
As a friend, your first instinct may be to ask your friend how you can help. I can promise you, she does not know what/how much help she needs, so here are my expert tips and ten ways to help a friend on hospital bed rest or in the NICU:
Mattress Covers For Incontinence
Bowel and urinary incontinence faced by many people result in sleep disorders and psychological factors. These waterproof mattress protectors ensure comfort, the bed stays dry and a night of good sleep.
The bed pads positioned on top of the mattress or underneath. You can easily find medical waterproof mattress protectors online.
It dramatically helps patients in hospitals diagnosed with incontinence. Instead of changing the mattress too many times and getting it wet, the incontinence bed pads come in handy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Recommended Reading: Things To Do In Germantown
Carefully Complete The Paperwork
How would it feel if the healthcare insurance rejected your application after detailed paperwork?
Youre already going through a lot of stress. So, it will put more pressure on your mind if your application got rejected. The major reason why these requests are denied is that the patients dont complete the paperwork properly. Sometimes, they make some mistakes that contribute to their disqualification. And sometimes, they miss some important sections that can protect their rights.
We recommend getting in touch with the healthcare insurance while youre filling out the form or you may also take help from the doctor that has prescribed the hospital bed. Whenever youre going to move to the next step, you need to consult the healthcare department to make sure you havent made any mistakes so far.
Creative And Sustainable Solutions
Our study shows that reducing sedentary behaviour in hospitals is often complex and there are important roles for nurse leaders and organisations in working together on creative and sustainable solutions.
Teach us to live that we may dread
unnecessary time in bed.
Also Check: Fun Things To Do Around Syracuse Ny
Spend Time With Close Friends And Family
During visiting hours, you or a loved one can invite your friends and family to come visit. Spending time with the people you love often makes time slip away.
In summer 2011, I went through meningitis and two neurological surgeries. I spent 17 days in the hospital. During that time, my family and closest friends came to visit my mom and I had many words with friends competitions. I slept a lot too. At the end of my stay, I saw the most beautiful rainbow. I have not had an infection or surgery since.
Ways To Make A Hospital Stay More Comfortable
When your loved one is in the hospital, why not help him or her make the best of it? Finding ways to help a friend or family member be more comfortable could take the edge off the anxiety and make the stay a bit more relaxing. Keep the following in mind:
Successful stay tip: Remind your loved one that you are in the hospital to achieve a specific purpose. Do your best to be patient and positive.
Also Check: Is Mystic Ct Worth Visiting
What You Will Read In This Article
There are different types of hospital pediatric beds. And the reason for the variety of these products is because we will provide you with different types of these products in a very important way, considering each of your needs, dear ones. It should be noted that the distribution of childrens hospital beds is direct, which will bring important benefits to you.
Tips For Visitors: 11 Ways To Brighten Someones Hospital Stay
While flowers might brighten your loved ones hospital stay, there are plenty of thoughtful ways to cheer up a hospital-bound friend. From practical to whimsical, here are some thought starters:
Read Also: Wichita Falls Fun Things To Do