Commons Ford Ranch Metropolitan Park
Austin Parks and Recreation Department
With its peaceful lakefront views, the Commons Ford Ranch Metropolitan Park is a great place to escape the urban frenzy of Austin.
Youll be able to get away from it all without actually venturing too far from the fun stuff of the city.
You can just take a break from it for a while.
The water is calm and pretty. The wooden docks are a great place to sit and fish.
Folks usually bring their dogs to run around the open fields and catch Frisbees, and it isnt uncommon for swans to come up to picnickers and ask for food.
Local events include nature tours, birdwatching trips, gardening shows and more.
Check their schedule to see if something fun is happening while youre in Austin, or give them a call to ask about private arrangements for a big family or work group.
You dont have to leave the city to get away from the steel bridges and high-rise apartment buildings.
Serenity can be found in a nice little park like the Commons Ford Ranch Metropolitan Park!
Address: 614 N Commons Ford Rd, Austin, TX 78733, United States
Eat Breakfast At Juan In A Million
The first thing to do in Austin is to grab a Tex Mex breakfast and Juan in a Million is the legend you get to meet.
Not only does the ex-high school teacher, Juan Mezas sell no frills, great homemade food, he also greets every single customer at the door with his signature handshake! Now that is a personal welcome.
Our taxi driver said one day he drove past and couldnt believe the size of the line, Juan had just made it to the big screen.
Casey Webb from the notorious hit TV show Man v Food had taken on the challenge to eat eight Don Juan tacos stuffed full of eggs, potatoes, bacon and cheese.
Think you can make it on the Juan of Fame? Webb managed four and a quarter
Tell us how many you manage in the comments below!
+ Actually Fun Austin Date Night Ideas
With so many great date night ideas in Austin, there really is no reason for boring dates! Whether youre looking to splurge or save, go romantic or make it an adventure, get active or crafty, there truly is something for every couple. And honestly, while we call this Austin date night ideas, this really is just a great comprehensive list for anyone looking for fun things to do in Austin!
Read Also: Things To Do In Gainesville Va This Weekend
Eat At Franklin Barbecue
When in Texas, try the cuisine at Franklin Barbecue. Barbecue grilled meats have long been the iconic Austin food, and Franklin Barbecue is the most popular venue to try this local specialty.
At Franklin Barbecue, you can order brisket, ribs, pulled pork, turkey, and sausage variations by the pound perfect for large groups and families. Alternatively, order a sandwich packed with grilled meat of your choice or a sweet dessert pie.
Franklin Barbecue is located in East Austin and is a favorite spot amongst Austin residents.
Austin Date Ideas For Couples On The Water
Austin is lucky to have the turquoise blue waters of Lake Travis, scenic spots like Barton Creek, and other great swimming holes! With that comes a surplus of fun Austin date ideas on the water!
31. Go for a boat ride No need to worry about the hassle of driving the boat yourself. Let your captain take care of the work while you enjoy each others company, finding the best swimming spots on Lake Travis, and watching the sun as it sets with Float On.
32. Learn to sail Austin Sailing Adventures offers sailing lessons if youre looking to pick up a new skill together that can be used for countless date nights to come!
33. Go for a swim There are so many great swimming spots to choose from and part of the fun is hopping around and choosing your favorite ones! One great spot is Barton Creek.
34. Check out a state park McKinney Falls State Park is perfect for adventure-loving couples looking to get out! With hiking trails and falls to enjoy, you can spend all day here or a couple of hours.
35. Go kayaking Get in a workout while enjoying the views of downtown from the lake with Congress Avenue Kayaks. They have guided tours as well for those who want to see the bats or kayak down to Barton Springs.
36. Try not to fall over with stand-up paddle boarding also at Congress Avenue Kayaks.
38. Bounce over Lake Travis Waterloo Adventures is almost like a bounce house/obstacle over the water with 600 feet of fun!
Also Check: Top 25 Things To Do In Louisville Ky
Austin Date Ideas: 25 Romantic Things To Do In Austin For Couples
Packed with romantic date ideas ranging from secluded hiking trails to trendy restaurants, narrowing down the most romantic things to do in Austin can be quite the challenge!
Over the past 15 years, it isnt only locals who understand how cool and quirky Austin can be.
Whether you are planning a romantic date night in Austin with your spouse, the first date with someone you met online, or a double date with your best couple friends there are endless date ideas in Austin.
Here are some of the most romantic things to do in Austin for your next date night !
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy for more detail.
Get Your Retro Gaming Fix At Pinballz
Various locationsPinballz is famous for its vast collection of classic pinball machines and arcade games, and there are two newer locations in addition to the original spot in the Wooten area. Pinballz Lake Creek is literally the size of a Walmart, and currently offers over 300 pinball machines and arcade games. Youve likely seen Pinballz Kingdom while driving through Buda, as wellthe stone castle with dragon entrance is just off the highway. Pinballz Kingdom boasts not only lazer tag and bumper cars in addition to hundreds of games, but also a restaurant, German-style biergarten, lots of craft beer on tap, and a full bar.
for our daily Austin email and be the first to get all the food/drink/fun in town.
Anastacia Uriegasis a Thrillist contributor.James Wong is a Libra who spends his time pretending to be a vegan, watching wildlife clips, and booking plane tickets. Born in London, lived in Tokyo, and now residing in Austin, his greatest achievement is giving Posh Spice a hug in 2016.
- Cookie Settings
Recommended Reading: Things To Do In Peoria Il For Adults
The Historic Lineage Of Sandys Hamburgers
You havent lived in Austin without taking a drive down to Sandys Hamburgers.
This place, located on Barton Springs Road, is so concise and Tardis-like that itd be pretty easy to miss it. This old-fashioned menu has milkshakes, sundaes and, of course, hamburgers straight off of the grill that are bound to send punters home happy.
Where To Stay In Austin
- BudgetHostels are great for budgets, so book into the Firehouse Hostel if you are comfortable in a dormitory room.The hostel is located in the middle of Downtown Austin perfect for easy access to city attractions.
- Mid-Range Sentral East Austin 1610 is a great mid-range accommodation choice. You have luxuries like a fitness center and a trendy location but will also save money by having full use of a kitchen.
- LuxuryReserve a room at the Fairmont Austin Gold Experience for luxury in Austin. A Five-star hotel with a 7th-floor terrace pool and five different on-site restaurants, the Fairmont is sure to tick all your boxes.
Austin is an amazing introduction to Texas. The city can keep you entertained for a weekend or a week, all year round.
Of course, dont just stop in Austin! Head North to join Route 66, East to the coast, or West for desert State Parks Texas is a state that demands exploring.
Recommended Reading: Things To Do In Wilson Nc
Blazer Tag Adventure Center
Many of the tourist attractions in Austin are best visited on sunny, summery days.
But what if youre headed to Texas in the winter?
You might be wondering what to do.
The answer is Blazer Tag.
Hailed as the largest laser tag arena in Texas, Blazer Tag offers three entire floors of ramps, towers, corridors and bridges.
Rather than playing a rinky-dink game of tag in a small, enclosed area, youll immerse yourself in an amazing tactical landscape like something out of a video game or military exercise.
When youve defeated the other team, you can relax at a cafe that offers pizza, burgers, nachos, cheese sticks and funnel cakes.
You can also get nostalgic with an arcade that boasts everything from pinball machines to good old skee-ball.
Blazer Tag is one of the top places to visit in Austin, so give them a call if you want some exciting possibilities for a vacation, birthday party or corporate event.
Address: 1701 W Ben White Blvd, Austin, TX 78704, United States
Back In Time At An Austin Speakeasy
Looking for a date night in Austin thats bound to impress your partner?
Rumor has it that there are several traditional underground speakeasies slinging whiskey to this day in and around downtown Austin.
With their iconic depression-era vibes and signature cocktails, these bars located around town are truly a treat .
If you are able to locate one of these Prohibition-era haunts, expect to find great food and interesting cocktails served up in truly unique surroundings.
But dont forget the password or the secret knock.
Read Also: Things To Do In Biloxi And Gulfport
Get Snap Happy Street Art In Austin
There is a lot of street art in Austin but unfortunately, much of it is spread quite far apart. Close to downtown, you can catch:
- The I Love You So Much Wall on So Co .
- I Hate You So Much Wall on Rainy Street .
- Lets Band Together heart on East 6th Street.
- Historic 6th Mural at 5582 N Interstate 35 Frontage Rd, 78701.
- Ninja Style graffiti on Lamar Boulevard Bridge.
- Pop Art Girl at Colorado St. and W 5th Street ?
- Tau Ceti triangle at Brazos and Second.
A little further afield is the famous:
- Jeremiah the Innocent at 21st and Guadalupe.
- Youre My Butter Half at 2000 E Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
We were really disappointed to see that Hope Outdoor Gallery at Castle Hill has now be closed down. This is where we got our wedding photos taken.
Rumour has it that Hope will be reopening at a spot near the airport. If you like street art why not visit us in Fife, Scotland! This lesser-known area of our home country has an emerging scene worth checking out.
We never made it to the Cathedral of Junk but if you like art and trash it might be worth a quick visit if passing by .
Some of the murals are quite spaced out so this electric bike tour can cover more grounds than by foot.
Back at South Congress, youll see a large gathering at the end of a shop this is the I Love You So Much wall.
As the story goes, the artist spray painted the message, I love you so much, on her girlfriends shop wall after they broke up.
Austin Date Ideas For Art & History Lovers
Austin has a huge art scene as well as so many great little museums and historical sites so that you can bond together and learn a little with these Austin date ideas.
119. See the art at the Mexi-Arte Museum Explore Mexican culture through art at this museum with regularly rotating exhibits.
120. Visit the Blanton Museum of Art With over 19,000 art pieces from Europe and Latin America, you could easily spend all day here.
121. Enjoy cool art programs Take your pick of fun Austin date ideas with one of the programs from Big Medium including different galleries, an East and West Austin Studio Tour, and other great events.
122. See some theatre The only hard part will be choosing which ones. Austin has so many great acting troupes to enjoy and support. You can make your way through the list for multiple theatre date ideas until you find your favorite. Some of the theatres in Austin are Hideout Theatre, Zach Theatre, Vortex Theatre, Salvage Vanguard Theatre, Scottish Rite Theater, Institution Theatre, Fallout Theatre, City Theatre, Zilker Theatre Productions, Paramount Theatre, Coldtowne Theater, Hyde Park Theatre, Blue Theatre, and Rude Mechs.
124. Visit the Contemporary Art Museum where youll see all sorts of incredible sculptures. Then sit on top of the limestone tree stump and reflect on life.
125. Explore the South Austin Popular Culture Center Here youll find a museum that shows the culture of Austin.
Read Also: Things To Do In Galveston Next Weekend
Explore The City By Bike
If you like to be active and want to see a lot of Austin, you may want to rent a bike. You can explore on wheels and do so in an affordable way. Stop by Mellow Johnnys Bike Shop and rent a bike for the day for as little as $30 per day. You can get your exercise in and have fun! An e-bike adventure is another option.
Visit The ‘greetings From Austin’ Mural
If you’re not already on Instagram, now’s a good time to download the app. One of the most photographed areas of the city, the “Greetings From Austin” mural was inspired by a 1940s postcard containing images of popular landmarks like the Congress Avenue Bridge, the University of Texas Tower, and Barton Springs.
You can find the image located on the side of the Roadhouse Relics art gallery. Gallery owner Todd Sanders created the mural alongside fellow artist Rory Skagen.
Pro tip: Stand in front of the capitol building fountain and to the left of the word “Capitol” for the best shot.
You May Like: New Things To Do In Denver
Stroll And Shop Along South Congress Avenue
Shopping, food, live music, and iconic Austin scenes. What isnt there to do on South Congress Avenue? This bustling street lined with cute stores, quirky boutiques, and delicious Austin eateries is perfect if youre looking for a day out on the town. Here youll find recognizable city scenes like the I Love You So Much mural. This will make for great photos to remember your trip to the city by. SoCo, as it is called by the locals, also has a thriving nightlife with opportunities to hear live music nearly every night. If you love it there why not invest in your own Texan home?
Test Your Skills At The Escape Game In Downtown Austin
Editor’s Note: Photo taken from the establishment’s official social account
Does your #SundayFunDay include stealing back a priceless masterpiece? Ours does
Those wondering what to do in Austin at night can try an exciting escape room adventure. Puzzle masters and adventure seekers can rejoice at the Escape Game, in downtown Austin. The Escape Game Austin is home to five exciting and challenging escape rooms, designed to give groups a fun and interactive adventure. During an Escape Game, participants enter the escape room, a physical puzzle complete with hints and secrets that, once discovered, will help a group complete a mission and escape.
Escape rooms are highly interactive and require teamwork, wit, and determination to solve. In Austin, the Escape Game has five different rooms for groups to enjoy and has something for all ability levels. A trip to the Escape Game is the perfect nighttime activity for groups looking for family-friendly fun and excitement in Austin.
The Escape Game Austin
If you enjoy poolside bars and some fun in the sun, the Azul Rooftop Pool Bar and Lounge is the place for you. Located in the heart of downtown Austin, the Azul Rooftop Pool Bar and Lounge offers breathtaking views, handcrafted cocktails, and gourmet food, all in one great package.
Azul Rooftop Pool Bar and Lounge
Address: 310 E 5th St, Austin, TX 78701, USA
Also Check: Tickets For Things To Do In New York
What Are Some Fun Things To Do In Austin For Adults
People flock to Austin from all over the world for its nightlife, live music, and food culture. Adults in Austin can head over to the Broken Spoke for drinks and dancing or the Little Longhorn Saloon for a game of Chicken S*** Bingo.
For more outdoorsy activities, think about biking around Zilker Park or entertaining swimming and boating opportunities at Barton Springs Pool.
Austin is also brimming with arts and culture, from the many murals located around the city to world-class arts institutions like the Blanton Museum of Art and the Umlauf Sculpture Gardens.
Catch Live Music At The Continental Club
People call Austin the live music capital of Texas, and The Continental Club is known as one of the biggest clubs in Austin, Texas.
The club has been hosting live music since 1955 playing everything from blues and country, to rock, and swing. To pay a visit, head to South Congress in South Austin. Enter the club under the vintage neon lights, pull up a stool, grab a drink, and enjoy the best of Texan music culture.
Don’t Miss: Things To Do In Atlantic City With Kids